Saturday, September 13, 2008

What's Beyond Point and Shoot?

I'm honored to be moderating a panel next weekend at InterPLAY (get your wristband today!) called "Beyond Point and Shoot: Taking Better Photos". The excellent panelists include myself, Raquita and David Grey. We each have different backgrounds and photographic goals, so expect some interesting discussions!

Since the world of photography is so vast, I'd like some community help in deciding what we should focus on. There are a few main topics that I think would be interesting:
  • Why and how you should use photos
  • Getting started with photography
  • Improving the quality of your photos
What would you like to hear discussed? Please leave a comment and let me know!

3 comments:

  1. I'll be there, unless I'm staffing the St. Louis Bloggers Guild booth or green room at the time.

    I think the area that most photographers fail at is composition. Whether you are using a point and shoot in auto or an SLR, without decent composition and framing, you won't have a good picture.

    The second area they fail at is the concept that flash is for indoors only. This results in many portraits having objectionable shadows on them.

    Unfortunately for newcomers, digital sensors act more like slide film than print and aren't very forgiving on shadows in the face!

    You could touch on the basics of GIMP or Elements (I wouldn't suggest that the primary audience needs PS!). Just adjusting the dynamic range, and maybe a small touch of sharpening can improve the look of many shots as well.

    I look forward to seeing you there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's great there is anything at al like this to help those who want to go beyond PS.

    Let me know how it goes.

    I personally think the second title, how to get started..... I think with that, it says it all

    LB

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jen here from Earth Friendly Weddings. This isn't exactly related to your post, but I wanted to thank you letting me share your photos - the wedding looked gorgeous! I found your website through The Cupcake Project, which I love by the way.

    ReplyDelete